- B.A. in English literature with a minor in philosophy, University of Colorado-Boulder, 1963
- M.A. in English literature, University of Colorado-Boulder, 1967.
- Ph.D. in English literature with a minor in Latin language and literature, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1973
I am interested in all aspects of early modern English literature, Latin literature, and art history. In addition, I am seriously interested in Mimbres culture.
- ENGL 244G: Literature and Culture
- ENGL 261: Masterpieces of Western European Literature, Beginnings to the Renaissance
- ENGL 271: Survey of English Literature I
- ENGL 328: Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature
- ENGL 401/501: Women & Men Writers of the Seventeenth Century
- ENGL 401/501: Seventeenth-Century Literature
- ENGL 407/507: Milton
- Co-editor with Jeffrey Johnson, Discovering and (Re)Covering the Seventeenth-Century Religious Lyric, Duquesne University Press, 2001.
- Co-editor with James Fitzmaurice, Carol Barash, and Nancy A. Guiterrez, Major Women Writers in Seventeenth-Century England. University of Michigan Press, 1996.
- Co-editor with Gail L. Mortimer, Milton, the Bible, and Misogyny. University of Missouri Press, 1990.
- “Crashaw’s Ritual, Liminal, and Visual Wounds,” in New Perspectives on the Seventeenth-Century English Religious Lyric, ed. John R. Roberts. Univ. of Missouri Press, 1993.
- “(En)gendering Architectural Poetics in Jonson’s Masque of Queens. LIT: Literature Interpretation Theory 4 (1993): 145-60.
- “Wyatt’s Riddling Lute and the Feminine Other: ‘Break not them so wrongfully,'” Cithara 32 (1993): 3-30.
- “An Collins,” in Dictionary of Literary Biography, ed. M. Thomas Hester. Bruccoli Clark Layman, 1993.
- “Framing Seventeenth-Century Poetics: Liturgical Frames and Perspectives,” in Perspective as a Problem in Art, History and Literature of Early Modern England, eds. S. K. Heninger, Jr. and Mark Lussier. Mellen Press, 1992.
- “The Male Myth of A Sexual Golden Age in Seventeenth-Century Poetry,” in Discourses of Desire: Sexuality in Renaissance Non-Dramatic Literature, eds. Claude J. Summers and Ted-Larry Pebworth. University of Missouri Press, 1992.
- “Opening the Religious Lyric: Crashaw’s Ritual, Visual, and Liminal Wounds,” in New Perspectives on the Renaissance Religious Lyric, ed. John R. Roberts. Univ. of Missouri Press, 1992.
- “Names on Trees, the Hermaphrodite, and ‘The Garden,'” in On the Celebrated and Neglected Poems of Andrew Marvell, ed. Ted-Larry Pebworth and Claude J. Summers. Univ. of Missouri Press, 1992.
- “The Viewer’s Share: Three Sectarian Readings of Vermeer’s Woman with a Balance,” Exemplaria2 (1990): 501-36.
- “‘Bye, bye Miss American Pie’: Don McLean and the Elegiac Tradition, or, Lycidas Redivius, The Popular Culture Journal 2 (1990): 29-36.
- “Thomas Cole’s Painterly Reading of Miton’s ‘L’Allegro’ and ‘Il Penseroso,'” Milton Quarterly 24 (1990): 85-98.
- “Illusion and Spiritual Perception in Donne’s Poetry,” in Aesthetic Illusion: Theoretical and Historical Approaches, eds. Frederick Burwick and Walter Pape. De Gruyter, 1990.
- “Crashaw’s Sancta Maria Dolorum: Controversy and Coherence,” New Perspectives on the Life and Art of Richard Crashaw, ed. John R. Roberts. Univ. of Missouri Press, 1990.
- “Donne’s Witty Theory of Atonement in ‘The Baite,'” SEL 29 (1989): 77-98.
- “Jerome Nadal and Francisco Pacheco: A Print and a Verbal Source for Zrbaran’s Circumcision,” Boletin del Museo e Instituto Camon Aznar 25 (1988): 5-12.
- “Milton, The Shepherd of Hermas, and the Writing of a Puritan Masque,” Milton Studies 23 (1987): 33-52.
- “Typological Rhyme in a Sequence by Adam of St. Victor,” Studies in Philology 84 (1987): 394-417.
- “Ut Pictura Poesis: An Opening in ‘The Windows,'” in “Like Season’d Timber“: New Essays on George Herbert, eds. Edmund Miller and Robert DiYanni. Peter Lang, 1987.
- “Crashaw’s Bulla: A Baroque and Paradoxical Mirror Image of Religious Poetics,” Journal of Medieval and Renaissance Studies 15 (1985): 183-210.
- “God’s ‘Golden Scales’: Mercy and Justice in Paradise Lost, ELN 21 (1984): 13-20. “Milton’s ‘Two-Handed Engine’: The Visionary Iconography of Christus in Statera,” Milton Quarterly 16 (1983): 29-38.
- “Crashaw’s Hymn To the Name Above Every Name: Background and Meaning,” in Essays on Richard Crashaw, ed. Robert M. Cooper. Humanities Press, 1979.
- “Donne’s Valediction: Forbidding Mourning and the Golden Compasses of Alchemical Creation,” in Literature and the Occult, ed. Luanne Frank. Univ. of Texas at Arlington Press, 1977.
Works in Progress:
- Richard Crashaw: The Making of a Baroque and Ritual Poet (book in progress).
- “‘Give me a Stile that nature frames, not Art’: Margaret Cavendish Rewriting the Patriarchal Aesthetics of Ovid, Jonson, and Herrick.”
- “The Golden Eagle: A Restoration Fiction of Alchemical and Political Transformation.”
- Executive Director, John Donne Society, 1986-.
- Executive Council, Rocky Mountain Medieval and Renaissance Association, 1992-.
- Executive Committee, Milton Society of America, 1987-89.
- Executive Board, Rocky Mountain Modern Language Association, 1983-86.