Students studying the English Studies for Teachers emphasis will develop individualized plans of study in consultation with their adviser. Students will complete at least 36 hours of graduate course work including:
- 12 credit hours in core courses
- 18 to 21 credit hours in courses in an area of specialization
- 3 to 6 credit hours of a capstone requirement
Core Courses (12 credits). Students must take one core course in each of the following areas:
- Composition, Rhetoric, and Professional Communication
- Creative Writing
Each course will feature a prominent research component that will provide the student with the skills necessary to extend their knowledge and competencies. The products of core courses research will constitute one component of the Master’s Portfolio.
Specialized Courses (18 to 21 credit hours). Students will take six to seven additional courses in their area of specialization determined in consultation with their adviser. Up to two appropriate courses (six credit hours) might also be taken in other departments, such as communication studies, education, journalism, and theater.
Master’s Capstone Requirement (3 credit hours). Students fulfill the capstone requirement through one of the options below:
- 3 credit hours of ENGL 577: Workshop: Advanced Technical and Professional Writing
- 3 credit hours of ENGL 585: Preparing a Professional Portfolio
- With adviser approval, students may develop an alternative capstone experience and enroll for appropriate credits, such as through an independent study
Any variation from these requirements must be approved by the Department Head. Students will need to complete a Course Exception form. Requests should be submitted in writing to the Graduate Studies Committee through the students’ adviser.