Students in the Master of Fine Arts program will complete at least 54 hours of graduate coursework, including:
- 12 credit hours of workshop courses in the major genre (poetry or fiction)
- 3 credit hours of workshop in a second genre
- 6 credit hours of form and technique courses in the major genre
- 12 credit hours of literature courses in the Department of English
- 6 credit hours of ENGL 599: Master’s Thesis
- 6 to 12 credit hours of Master Workshop in the major genre.
- The Master Workshop, which will be offered once a year to M.F.A. students, must be taken in the fifth semester of the program. Faculty and students examine the full-length book projects of each student in the Master Workshop.
- 3 to 12 credit hours of elective courses
Note: Graduate assistants must take 3 hours of ENGL 571: Composition Pedagogy and Practicum during their first semester as assistants. These credit hours will count toward elective courses.