- M.A. in Technical and Professional Communication, NMSU, Las Cruces, NM
- B.A. in General Studies, with a concentration in Russian language and history, New College, Sarasota, FL
After receiving his Master’s degree, Michael LaTorra worked for 16 years as a technical writer for a variety of companies in California and Texas. These companies ranged from small (a Silicon Valley start-up) through medium (100 employees) to large (Fortune 500 size with thousands of employees).
LaTorra joined the NMSU English Department in 2000. His professional interests include the communication of technical information in science, engineering and business. He has published and given presentations on the impact of science and technology on the development of enhanced human abilities, well-being and longevity. In addition, he instructs interested students and members of the public in the practices of meditation and wisdom inquiry.
Research and Creative Interests:
Michael LaTorra serves on the Board of Directors of several non-profit groups: the Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies, Humanity+, and the Zen Center of Las Cruces.
Courses Recently Taught:
- ENGL 203: Business and Professional Communication
- ENGL 218: Technical and Scientific Communication
- ENGL 328V: Science Fiction and Fantasy
Michael LaTorra brings to his teaching both his academic training and his business experience, thus producing a synthesis of theory and practice that many students find to be very helpful.
Contact: email@example.com or 575-646-1418