Bachelor of Arts in English
In addition to meeting the English basic skills requirement, students majoring in English must complete 42 credits in English beyond ENGL 111G: Rhetoric and Composition and satisfy the following eight requirements.
1.) Twelve credits from the following 3-credit hour courses:
- ENGL 243: The Bible as Literature*
- ENGL251: Survey of American Literature I
- ENGL252: Survey of American Literature II
- ENGL 261: Masterpieces of Western European Literature, Beginnings to the Renaissance*
- ENGL 262: Masterpieces of Western European Literature, Post-Renaissance to Modern
- ENGL 263: History of Argument
- ENGL 271: English Literature I*
- ENGL 272: English Literature II*
*Students may make one or two of the following substitutions: HON 229G for ENGL 243; HON 220G, 234G, or 239G for ENGL 261; HON 220G, 231G, 234G, or 239G for ENGL 271; HON 231G for ENGL 272.
2.) Three credits of ENGL 310: Critical Writing
3.) Three credits from one of the following 3-credit hours courses:
- ENGL 301: Theory and Criticism: Rhetoric and Culture
- ENGL 302: Theory and Criticism: Literature and Culture
- ENGL 303: Theory and Criticism: Film, Media, and Culture
4.) Six additional credits from English courses numbered 298-399*
* Students may count one or two of the following Honors courses toward this requirement: HON 325V, 345V, 348V, 365V, 366V, 369V, 376V, 379V, and 382V. However, students may not take both ENGL 325V and HON 325V, or ENGL 392V and HON 348V.
5.) Three credits from ENGL 405: Chaucer, or ENGL 407: Milton
6.) Three credits from ENGL 408: Shakespeare I, or ENGL 409: Shakespeare II
7.) Three credits from from the following 3-credit hour courses
- ENGL 469: Advanced Study in American Literature, or ENGL 438: Literature of the American Renaissance
- ENGL 439: American Realism and Naturalism
- ENGL 440: Harlem Renaissance and Modernism
- ENGL 441: Modern and Contemporary American Fiction
- ENGL 442: Modern and Contemporary American Poetry
- ENGL 456: Ethnic Studies in US Literature and Culture
- ENGL 457: American Indian Literatures
- ENGL 458: Latino/a Literature and Culture
- ENGL 459: Black Literatures and Culture in the US.
8.) Nine additional credits from English courses numbered 400-499